Sous Vide Vanilla Ice Cream
This recipe is for a good vanilla ice cream base. An ice cream machine is still required to churn and add the final touches. You can also add additional flavors like strawberries, peaches and coconut. Sometimes creating an ice cream base on the stove can be tricky. If the temperature gets too high there is a chance that you can scramble the eggs or curdle the cream. The Sous Vide method eliminates the danger of this overcooking.
- 250ml milk
- 300ml heavy cream
- ½ cup sugar
- 5 egg yolks
- 1 vanilla pod, seeds scraped
- Preheat the water bath to 185°F.
- In a large mixing bowl add the sugar, egg yolks, vanilla seeds and milk. Use a hand blender to combine it all together.
- Carefully mix in the heavy cream using a smooth stirring action. Do not whip the cream.
- Pour the mixture into a bag and seal it using the water displacement method.
- Place the bag into the water bath. Cook for 60 minutes. While cooking move the bag around to agitate the mixture.
- Take the bag out of the water bath and immediately submerge it in a ice water bath.
- Once the bag is completely cold pour it into a mixing bowl. Mix thoroughly with a hand blender. Transfer it to an ice cream machine and let it churn until smooth and silky.
- Remove from the ice cream machine and serve. Transfer the unused ice cream to an air tight container and store in a freezer.