Build an Island Retreat: Here's How
Build this brilliant custom island for your dream kitchen using Owner's Choice cabinetry that is available exclusively at Home Hardware and Building Centre locations.
What You'll Need
- tape measure 1048-291
- driver drill kit 1240-134
- brad nailer 1282-946
- table saw 1346-634
- mini pocket hole jig kit 1261-725
- Download Template.
- BD 18" cabinets 1 x 2516-756, 1 x 2517-024
- BD 24" cabinets 2 x 2516-764, 3 x 2517-025
- island countertop: 84" x 40" flat work finished all 4 sides with buildup (optional solid core for overhang)
- roll out table countertop: 23" x 24" flat work finished all 4 sides with buildup
- 3/4" plywood
- 3/4" plywood finished one side
- 1/2" plywood finished one side
- 2" x 4" pine
- pan head screws
- wood glue 2020-071
- castors 2 x 2325-267 (swivel with brake), 2 x 2325-266 (rigid)
- wood filler 0000-000
- sandpaper 1061, 1078
- Beauti-Tone Acryl-lok Primer Sealer 1850-241
- Beauti-Tone Designer Series Cabinet and Furniture paint 1880-432/440
- Assemble all cabinets. Bolt or screw the two BD24 units together.
- Build inside back and end walls using 3/4" plywood. Screw to the cabinets from inside the cabinets.
- Build the exterior back and end wall using 3/4" plywood finished one side. * * Attach to the two BD24 cabinets with a wood I beam spacer for rigidity.
- Frame the end that will house the roll out table using 1/2" plywood finished one side. The face frame is 3".
- The toe kick is one piece of 1/2" plywood.
- The false drawer fronts are secured from inside the end unit.
- Frame the back and end using decorative pine that is sized to match the front extensions.
- Cut off the top drawer section of the BD 18" cabinet using a table saw. Frame the top with plywood.
- The roll out table is built from 2" x 4" pine fastened together using a pocket hole jig and pan head screws. Use triangular corner bracing to screw the tabletop in place.
- Attach the castors. Note: Grind the fastening plate if it is too wide.
- The countertop can be screwed down from several areas and additional bracing can be added if necessary to secure the ends.
- Optional: fasten decorative end corbels.
- Apply Beauti-Tone Acryl-lok Primer Sealer over knots before painting with * * Beauti-Tone Designer Series Cabinet and Furniture paint in the colour of your choice.